Current Academic Year 2015 - 2016
Please note that this information is subject to change.
To provide students with an understanding of fundamental principles of management science. To develop skills in formulating basic mathematical models and familiarise students with the main algorithms used in management science. To introduce some specialised software tool(s) for formulation and solution of large scale OR problems.|
1. Identify and formulate linear programming applications|
2. Calculate the solutions to linear programming problems using the Simplex method for small scale problems and the "ampl" software tool for large scale problems.
3. Apply simple sensitivity analysis techniques to linear programming problems
4. Analyse applications of decision making under risk and uncertainty and identify optimal decision strategies
5. Draw network representations of projects and apply the CPM and PERT techniques
6. Analyse simple queuing systems
7. Calculate optimal order quantities for deterministic demand applications
8. Choose the most appropriate technique to apply in a decision making context
All module information is indicative and subject to change. For further information,students are advised to refer to the University's Marks and Standards and Programme Specific Regulations at: http://www.dcu.ie/registry/examinations/index.shtml
|Indicative Content and Learning Activities|
Linear programming formulation and solution.|
Elementary sensitivity analysis.
Use of "ampl" system for linear programming problems.
Project planning (CPM and PERT).
Basic queueing models.
Deterministic inventory models.
|Indicative Reading List|
|Programme or List of Programmes|
|Timetable this semester: Timetable for|