Current Academic Year 2015 - 2016
Please note that this information is subject to change.
To introduce students to curriculum theory and to demonstrate its impact on current educational provision in Ireland
To describe and place in the context of current curriculum thought the main issues to be considered in
developing, implementing and evaluating programmes of instruction.
To explore recent international initiatives in school and subject evaluation from the perspective of evaluation theory
To introduce students to the current Irish school evaluation programme paying particular attention to history, structure, policy directions and stakeholder engagement
To provide students with an opportunity to explore the potential role to be played by self evaluation in their emerging educational practice
To examine the potential role of ICT in the development of a self evaluation approach to professional development|
1. Demonstrate the capacity to plan collaboratively in the curriculum field|
2. Describe and place in the context of current curriculum thought the main issues to be considered in developing, implementing and evaluating programmes of instruction.
3. Explain the traditions of curriculum thought and outline current issues in curriculum theory
4. Explain the theoretical origins and practical implications of school evaluation systems
5. Explain the structure and operation of the Department of Education and Skills Evaluation programme for Irish schools
6. Demonstrate a general knowledge of the Codes of Professional Conduct for Teachers by providing specific examples of their application in their professional practice
7. Demonstrate an ability to apply the Code of Professional Conduct " The Teacher and The Curriculum" in their professional practice by providing specific examples of the application of each of the seven sub-sections of the code in their professional practice
8. Design, implement and evaluate a self evaluation programme in the course of their school placement
9. Develop the necessary skills and competences to engage in lifelong reflective learning
All module information is indicative and subject to change. For further information,students are advised to refer to the University's Marks and Standards and Programme Specific Regulations at: http://www.dcu.ie/registry/examinations/index.shtml
|Indicative Content and Learning Activities|
CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT CURRICULUM THEORY Traditions of curriculum thought; current issues in curriculum theory; perspectives (historical, sociological, political, psychological) on curriculum; a personal philosophy of curriculum ISSUES IN CURRICULUM DESIGN Curriculum aims and objectives; priorities and resources in curriculum design; curriculum organisation and structure; curriculum design and needs analysis; integration and the structures of disciplines.
Evaluation Introduction to evaluation theory Exploration of recent international initiatives in school and subject evaluation from the perspective of evaluation theory Evaluation in the island of Ireland - comparisons and contrasts Evaluation in Irish Schools History of evaluation in Irish Schools Comparison of international evaluation systems Theoretical origins and structure of current Irish programme for school evaluation (WSE) Emerging systems of evaluation in Irish schools Cycle of Evaluation - School Planning, Curriculum Implementation, Evaluation.
Exploration of theoretical underpinnings of self evaluation movement Examining the role of stakeholder groups in the process of self-evaluation - parents, policy makes (Department of Education and Skills, Inspectorate), Management Bodies (Patronage Groups,Boards of Management etc) Design and implementation of a range of self evaluation instruments in a school setting Engagement in online debate and discussion about the potential role of self evaluation as a mechanism for professional development and school improvement and life-long learning.
|Indicative Reading List|
|6361, Website, Inspectorate, 2012, Self-Evaluation Resources, http://www.schoolself-evaluation.ie/post-primary/, 6527, Website, OFSTED, 0, http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/, 6528, Website, Education and Training Northern Ireland, 0, http://www.etini.gov.uk/,|
|Programme or List of Programmes|
|BSSAO||Study Abroad (DCU Business School)|
|ECSAO||Study Abroad (Engineering & Computing)|
|HMSA||Study Abroad (Humanities & Soc Science)|
|HMSAO||Study Abroad (Humanities & Soc Science)|
|PEB||B.Sc Physical Education and Biology|
|SE||BSc Science Education|
|SHSAO||Study Abroad (Science & Health)|
|Timetable this semester: Timetable for ES303|
|Date of Last Revision||21-MAR-06|